Ratio Analysis




Profit Margin

The Profit Margin is one of the most commonly mentioned performance measures used; and for good reason. It tells us how much net profit is left from our sales after all expenses are deducted. That is, the percentage of sales revenue ending up in profit.

It is a key ratio because a primary financial performance measure of a business is profit (it’s the bottom line!). And while profit can’t be generated without sales revenue (selling your product/service is why you’re in business!), expenses are another fact of business life and keeping these expenses as low as possible leads to profit being as great as possible (within your sales range)

So if you’re in business or you’re an investor, you need to know how much revenue that is generated actually ends up on the bottom line. It is a good indicator of both revenue generation combined with cost control.

A Profit Margin of 32%, for example, means that 32% of your sales revenue ends up as net profit and the other 68% were expensed over the period.



Profit Margin Formula


Net Income / Sales Revenue



Profit Margin Calculator


The calculator asks for:
Net Income, which is found on the income statement.
Sales Revenue, which is also found on the income statement.

Net Income ($):

Sales Revenue ($):

Profit Margin (%):








Want to know more about the Ratios used in the S&P500 stock calculations, including all formulas?
Check out their individual ratio pages via the main menu for Descriptions, Calculators & Formulas



Like RatioAnalysis.net? Don't forget to Share It via the right-hand side Sharing Ribbon,
or Use the Facebook Plugin below :-)


© Copyright 2012-16 Bidi Capital Pty Ltd. All Rights Reserved. ABN: 34 155 211 233 | SiteMap


Keywords: Stock Market, Share Market, Ratio Analysis, Investing, Financial Statement Analysis, S&P Index, Dow Stock, Value Investing